Some of the building sizes on the map are estimated, and longer names
and addresses have been edited due to lack of available space on the map. The full transcripts
are included in the directory listings for the street.
| Sources : Thom's Directory 1848, Dublin Street Names C.T. Rev. McCready, graftonstreet.ie,
Map of Grafton Street as it was in 1848 in Google map format,
showing locations of shops, business, along with a few residental occupants. Also
included is a transcribed street listing in table format. These were created
from a combination of the Thom's Directory street listing published that year
and several maps of the area.
Grafton Street, in Dublin's South City runs south from the College Green and
Trinity College to the north west corner of Stephen's Green. The street
was named by statute in 1708 after Henry Fitzroy the First Duke of Grafton
(1663 to 1690), the second illegitimate son of King Charles the 2nd.
In the 18th century Grafton street began as a residential address populated
mainly by Dublin's more affluent citizens but by the early 1800s most of the
buildings had been converted to shops and businesses. By the end of the 1800s
the street had become the top business street in the city and included up-market
shops selling items such as clothing and fashion, jewellery, watches and clocks,
high quality food and wine. The street was pedestrianised in the late
1970s and repaved, and is still a busy Dublin shopping area, with buskers and