GLASNEVIN, a village in the parish of the same name, Coolock barony, Dublin county, two miles N.E. from the General Post Office, Dublin, comprising an area of 21 acres. Population, 370. It is situated on the bank of the river Tolka, and on the road to Naule.
It was long a favourite suburban and summer residence, occupied in the beginning of the last century by Tickell, the poet, and, subsequently, occasionally by Swift, Addison, Sheridan, Parnell, and other distinguished literary men, but is now neglected. The village occupies elevated ground, rising gradually from the river, and containing 60 houses, several of which are handsome buildings. The Church is a small edifice. There is a Widows' Alms House, a Dispensary, a private Lunatic Asylum, several Schools, of which one is the Model Training School of the National Board. The Botanic Gardens of the Dublin Society, close to the village, occupy 27 acres, are open to the public on Tuesdays and Fridays; and from June to September, lectures are given three times every week. In the vicinity is Claremont Deaf and Dumb Institution, occupying 18 acres, founded in 1816, and supported by donations and subscriptions. In the neighbourhood of the village is Prospect Cemetery, containing 26 acres, enclosed with high walls, at each angle of which is a watchtower, and in the centre a chapel for funerals. It contains some beautiful monuments: one, in honour of Curran, is a fac-simile of the tomb of Scipio Barbatus. The principal seats are, Glasnevin house, many years the residence of the late Bishop of Kildare; and Delville, that of Samuel Gordon, esq. ; in which latter, it is said, Swift composed and printed his satires on the Irish parliament.
The mail from Dublin arrives at 30 minutes past 8, A.M., and is despatched at 35 minutes past 12, and 45 minutes past 2, p.m.