ISLAND-BRIDGE, a suburban village, in the parish of St. James, partly in Uppercross barony, Dublin county, but chiefly in Dublin city, two miles W. from the General Post Office, Dublin. Population, 757.
It is situated on the S. bank of the river Liffey, and takes its name from an old bridge that stood here prior to the present one, a noble arch of 105 feet span, erected in 1791, in compliment to Sarah, Countess of Westmoreland, by whom the first stone was laid, and after whom it is also called. Here are extensive artillery barracks. In the vicinity are large flour mills of Messrs. Manders. The Cashel or Great Southern and Western Railway passes close to the village, across the road leading from Kilmainham, over which is a bridge of ten iron girders. Island or Sarah bridge connects the village with the N.W. road and one of the entrances to the Phoenix Park, within which portion is the Royal Magazine Fort and the Wellington Testimonial. A spring called St. John's well, close to the village, was formerly very much frequented on the eve of that saint, as a patron or pleasure fair, by the lower
It is within the G.P.O. delivery; the nearest Post Office receiver is at Kilmainham.