TALLAGHT, an inland town and parish in Uppercross barony, Dublin county, six miles S.W. by W. from Dublin, comprising an area of 21,868 acres, of which 27 are in the town. Population of' parish, 4,921 ; of town, 348, inhabiting 57 houses. The town is situated on the road to Blessington, and the parish extends from Balrothery hill on the river Dodder, to the Green hills at its western extremity. The Southern portion forms the range called the "Tallaght Hills," and command.; magnificent views of the bay and vale of Dublin.
Tradition states that at this place, (the name of which signifies " a place of burial,') the whole race of Partholon, who formed a settlement in Ireland, A.M. 1956 [sic 1056??], and were destroyed by the plague, were interred. In the eighth century an abbey was founded here, of which St. Maelrune was abbot. Prior to 1324, Alexander De Bickner, archbishop of Dublin, built a castle here, which was subsequently enlarged, and, with extensive gardens, and 200 acres of demesne land, formed the palace or country residence of all his successors down to 1803, when Dr. Fowler was the last archbishop who resided here. In 1825 it was taken down and disposed of under an Act of Parliament, and out of the materials; Tallaght House (the seat of John Lentaigne, esq.) was erected. The church, a little above the town dedicated to St. Maelrune, is a modern building in the pointed style. At Firhouse there is a convent of Discalced Carmelites, and at Mount Anna a small monastery of the same order, in both of which free school., are held. In the town there is a Dispensary, and there are National Schools for children of both sexes. A patent for fairs exists, but none are held. It is a Constabulary Police station, and Petty Sessions are held every alternate Monday. There are several paper and flour mills in the parish, as also a woollen mill. Of the remains of antiquity there are numerous vestiges. In the garden of Tallaght House is a large square tower, formerly part of the Castle. Timon, or Timothan Castle, consists of a square tower and keep. At Aughfarrel there are remains of a castle; and at the Green Hills is a Rath and fort.
The mail from Dublin arrives at 15 minutes past 9, A.M., and is despatched at 4, P.M. The Post Office grant and pay money orders.