HOME :  Index Page  County Dublin Towns 1848 - Ball's-Bridge

Description of : Ball's-Bridge  Street Listing Page : 1  2  

BALL'S-BRIDGE a village in St. Mary's, Donnybrook parish, barony and county Dublin, 1 3/4 miles S.E. from the General Post Office, Dublin, Comprising an area of 33 acres. Population, 484

It is situate on the road to Kingstown and Bray, and takes its name from a bridge which here crosses the Dodder, erected in 1791, and rebuilt in 1835. In the approach to it, on the right of the road, where several neat villas now stand, is the site of Baggot-Rath castle, occupied by the forces of the Marquess of Ormonde, in 1649, and stormed and taken by Cromwell in 1651 Adjoining the village, and extending along the right bank of the river, are the extensive calico print works of Messers. Duffy and Co., capable of finishing 100,000 pieces annually; worked by steam of forty horse power. The botanic garden of the university is in the vicinity; also the Hammersmith iron works, established in 1834 by Mr. Turner.

It is within the G.P.O. delivery; the nearest Post Office receiver is 14, Baggot-street, Upper, Dublin.

  HOME :  Index Page ver 2.2f | 29th December 2014 | Transcripts and Images © SWilson 2009-2015