CABINTEELY a village partly in Killiney, but chiefly in Tully parish, Rathdown barony,
Dublin county-, seven miles S.S.E. from Dublin, comprising an area of five acres. Population,
333 inhabiting 54 houses. It is situated at the junction of the roads from Blackrock and Donnybrook,
and on the mail coach road to Bray.
The houses are small and irregularly built, and it contains a Roman Catholic Chapel. The
principal seats in the vicinity are, Cabinteely House, the residence of the Misses Byrne-it
forms three sides of a square, and commands a most extensive view of the Bays of Dublin and
Killiney; Brenanstown House, the seat of George Pim, esq.; and Glendruid, that of Manliff Barrington,
esq., in the grounds of which there is a perfect cromlech of six upright stones, supporting
one of 14 by 12, and is estimated to weigh about twenty-five tons. About half a mile beyond
Cabinteely an extensive Royal encampment stood in 1798 and remained there until the rebellion
was finally subdued. On descending the hill is the small village of Loughlinstown, containing
a few straggling houses and cabins, to the left of which is Loughlinstown House the residence
of Jacob West, esq. On crossing Loughlinstown green, to the right, on the brow of the hill,
stands the Rathdown Union Workhouse very prettily and most salubriously situated on a site
of eight acres, erected in 1841 at an expense of £6,000, and, with all necessary accommodation
for the Board and its officers, is capable of containing 600 paupers. Within two miles E.
from Cabinteely and nine miles S.E. from the metropolis, is Killiney village, in Kill parish,
Rathdown barony. It comprises an area of 6 acres. Population, 204, inhabiting 33 houses It
occupies the side of the hill, close to the beautiful bay of the same name, the parish and
neighbourhood of which abounds in handsome seats and marine villas. It has a Dispensary and
National School, and is a coast guard station. The Church of Killiney, at Ballybrack, is of
white granite, in the later English style. Near Dorset Lodge is a granite monument to mark
the slot where the fourth Duke of Dorset lost his life in hunting, in 1815. On Killiney hill,
512 feet above the level of the sea, is Mount Malpas obelisk, commanding fine views of
the bay, Dalkey island, and the surrounding country. It was erected in 1742 by John Malpas,
esq., the then proprietor, chiefly to employ the poor in a time of scarcity.
The mail from Dublin arrives at Cabinteely at 45 minutes past 8, A.M. and is
despatched at 12 minutes past 4, P.m. The Post Office grant and pay money orders.