HOME :  Index Page  County Dublin Towns 1848 - Chapelizod

Description of : Chapelizod  Street Listing Page : 1  

CHAPELIZOD a village partly in Palmerstown parish, Uppercross barony, but chiefly in the parish of the same name, Castleknock barony, Dublin county, three miles W from the General Post Office, Dublin, comprising an area of 63 acres. Population, 1,575, inhabiting 181 houses. It is partly situate on the river Liffey, on the main road to Galway and near to the Cashel, or Great Southern and Western Line of Railway.

It is said to derive its name from La belle Izod, daughter of King Aengus. It and the lands around, including all within the Pheonix Park, formed part of the possessions of the Knights templars, of Kilmainham. King William Ill spent several days in it; and prior to the erection of the Viceregal lodge, it was the country residence of the Viceroy. Its buildings are, a small old Church, with an ivied tower, a Roman Catholic Chapel, a Dispensary a National School, an! Metropolitan Police Station. On the road from Dublin, near the Turnpike gate and opposite to one of the entrances to the Park, is a new Roman Catholic Chapel, called the "Church of the Nativity," in the early English style, with a tower 120 feet high, raised by subscription ; and when completed will be a very handsome building. Its proximity to the most sequestered portion of the Phoenix-park, the beautiful scenery of this part of the Liffey, with the Strawberry beds, render it a place of much resort in the summer season.

The Dublin mail arrives at 45 minutes after 8, A.M., and is despatched at 5, P.M.

  HOME :  Index Page ver 2.2f | 29th December 2014 | Transcripts and Images © SWilson 2009-2015