CLONDALKIN an inland parish and village, partly in Newcastle, but chiefly in Uppercross barony, Dublin county, 4 1/2 miles S.W. from Dublin, comprising an area of 4,777 acres, of which 44 are in the village. Population, 2,546 ; of village, 505, inhabiting 96 houses. It is situated near the ninth lock of the Grand Canal, and close to the line of the Great Southern and Western Railway, of which it is the first station from Dublin.
It was anciently named Cluain-Dolcan, and by the Danes Dun-awley. Its ancient round tower bespeaks its antiquity. A monastery also existed here, of which St. Cronan Mocha was the first abbot. In 806 a palace of Anlaff, the Danish King of Dublin, stood here, and was destroyed by the Irish under Ciaran, the son of Roan. In 1171 Roderic O'Conner, King of Leinster, aided by the forces of O'Ruarck and O'Carroll, were here opposed to Strongbow, on his way to Dublin, but had to yield to the latter. The village consists chiefly of one irregular street, of small but neatly built louses and cottages. The only public buildings are the Parish Church, a small plain modern building, and a neat Roman Catholic Chapel. It has almshouses for destitute widows, established by the Rev. Dr. Reade, the rector; also a Poor Shop, Repository, Dorcas Institution, Lying in Hospital, and Dispensary, a Parochial and two National Schools, and a Constabulary Police Station. It has paper and oil mills, and there were formerly powder mills at Little Corkagh, which ceased working in 1815. Near the mail coach road to Naas is the monastery: of Mount Joseph, pleasantly situated in elevated ground, established in 1813, and consists of a prior, chaplain, and several monks, who maintain themselves by their own industry and the profits of a school. The ancient round tower, before referred to, is the nearest structure of the kind to the metropolis, and is in good preservation. It stands 100 feet high, and is 15 feet in diameter, covered with a conical roof of stone. Near to it is the ruins of the ancient monastery, extending 120 feet in length, and at the entrance to the village are the ruins of a fortified castle.
The railway trains from Dublin to Carlow, &c. stop at 11 minutes past 7, and 10 minutes- past 9, A. M., at 11 minutes past 3, and 10 minutes past 5, P.m. The up trains to Dublin from Carlow, stop at 30 minutes past 9, and 54 minutes past 11, A.m., 45 minutes past 7, and 54 minutes past 10, P.m. The fares are, first class carriages, 9d. ; second class, 6d.; third class, 4d. The principal gentlemen's Seats are Newlands, formerly the residence of Lord Kilwarden, Collinstown House, Larkfield, Corkagh, Moyle Park, Nanger, and Neilstown House. The nearest Post Office to Clondalkin is Tallaght, two miles distant.