HOME :  Index Page  County Dublin Towns 1848 - Clonskeagh

Description of : Clonskeagh  Street Listing Page : 1  2  

CLONSKEAGH a village in St. Mary's, Donnybrook, parish, barony, and county oŁ Dublin, two miles S. from the General Post Office, Dublin, comprising an area of 68 acres Population, 352 inhabiting 67 houses. It is situated on the river Dodder, and on the road to Enniskerry.

It contains two hammer-smith iron work, and a marble saw mill. The neighbourhood is studded with gentlemen's seats and neat villas. Virgemount in a pretty range of houses close to the village. Roebuck, a district half a mile further on, is covered with elegant mansions and demesnes, the principal of which is the castle of that name, the seat of A. B. Crofton, esq., which, when originally elected, was strongly fortified. The residence of Lord Trimleston and occupied by James II, and the Duke of Berwick, when encamped in the neighbourhood. Milltown is less than half a mile to the right of Clonskeagh a dilapidated village in St. Peter's parish, Uppercross barony, and comprises an area of 185 acres. Population 736, inhabiting 118 houses. It contains a small Church as a Chapel of Ease to St. Peter's, and a small Catholic Chapel. Its vicinity is adorned with many pleasing villas and respectable residences, the principal of which are Milltown-park and Fairy-land.

Three omnibuses ply through Clonskeagh from and to Dublin and Dundrum several times a day. The nearest Post Office receivers are Rathmines and Dundrum.

  HOME :  Index Page ver 2.2f | 29th December 2014 | Transcripts and Images © SWilson 2009-2015