FINGLAS, an inland parish and village, partly in Nethercross but chiefly in Castleknock barony, Dublin county, three miles N. from the General Post Office, Dublin, comprising an area of 4,696 acres, of which 61 are in the village. Population of parish, 2,187 ; of village, 678, inhabiting 118 houses. It is situate on the mail-coach road to Ashbourne.
At this place, Strongbow, with .500 men, routed the Irish army, consisting of several thousands and nearly took King O'Connor prisoner. In 1649, the Marquess of Ormonde encamped in the vicinity, prior to his march on Rathmines. In 1690, William III, mustered his army here after the battle of the Boyne, 36,000 strong. The Archbishop of Dublin long held the manor and resided here, and where Fulk De Saundford died in 1271, and Archbishop Fitzsimon in 1351. The village, consists chiefly of small, irregular-built houses. The only public buildings are the parish Church, a plain substantial building, and a Roman Catholic Chapel. It has a Dispensary and parochial school. A patent for two markets and two fairs exist, but none are held. On the 1st of May there is a noted holiday or pleasure fair, which was formerly attended by great numbers of the young and lower class. In the vicinity there are three private licensed lunatic asylums, named Farnham House, Eagle House, and Finglas House.
The mail from Dublin arrives at 40 m. past 7, A.M., and at 30 m. past 3, P.M., and is despatched at 10 m. past 12, and at 20 m. past 5, P.M.