GOLDEN-BRIDGE, a village in the parish of St. James, Uppercross barony, Dublin county, two and a half miles W. from the General Post Office, Dublin, comprising an area of 162 Acres. Population, 1,090 inhabiting 180 houses. It is situated near the second lock of the Grand Canal, and on the road to Naas, It adjoins the Richmond Barracks, in the building of which it had its origin.
It has an Episcopal Chapel, a Wesleyan Methodist Meeting-house, and Male and Female Schools. Richmond Barracks occupy an area of 14 Irish acres and consists of two fronts with extensive courts and yards that can provide for 76 officers and 1,600 non-commissioned officers and men, with stabling for 25 horses, and an hospital for 100 patients. There are paper, flour, and barley malls in the vicinity. Golden-bridge or Waterloo Spa, is noted for its medicinal qualities in bilious and liver complaints, and other diseases. The first general Cemetery was established here in 1829, by a, grant of £1,000 from the Catholic Association funds. It is chiefly used by Roman Catholic families, and is tastefully arranged and planted ; it is surrounded by high walls, and in the centre is a chapel for funerals.
The nearest Post Office letter receiver is at Kilmainham where all letters for Richmond, or Richmond barracks, should be directed, to distinguish it from Richmond, Drumcondra.