IRISHTOWN, a maritime and suburban village, in the parish of St Mary, Donnybrook,
Dublin barony and county, two miles E. from the General Post Office, Dublin, comprising an
area of 57 acres. Population, 1,109. It is situated within a few hundred yards of the village
of Ringsend, on the S. side of Dublin bay, and comprises two streets, with strand, and minor
lanes and avenues, containing 161 houses.
It is much resorted to for sea bathing, having hot and cold salt water baths, and a fine
smooth strand. Its buildings are, the Church, called the "Royal Chapel of St. Matthew, Ringsend,"
maintained by annual parliamentary grant, amounting in 1846 to £106 for maintaining and repairing
the Church, and £217 to pay the minister, clerk, and sexton, a Roman Catholic Chapel, a Dispensary
and Poor Shop, Widows' Alms House, and several Schools.-See Ringsend.