RANELAGH, a village in the parish of St. Peter, Uppercross barony, Dublin county,
two miles S.E. from the General Post Office, Dublin, comprising an area of 170 acres.
Population 2,290 inhabiting 358 houses.
It is situated on the road to Dundrum and Enniskerry, and consists of one main street,
a square, and several avenues and terraces, the principal of which is Mountpleasant-square,
and Mander's-terrace. Here is a Carmelite Convent, with a neat Chapel, and a Wesleyan
Methodist Meeting-house, to which a small female free school is attached. About half a mile
further on is Cullenswood, a village in the same parish and barony as Ranelagh, comprising
an area of 118 acres. Population, 546, inhabiting 86 houses.
It is noted in the annals as being the scene of a dreadful massacre on Easter Monday, 1209,
of 500 citizens, a colony from Bristol, who went to amuse themselves in the wood on that day,
and were fell on and killed by some of the native septs, most probably of the O'Toole or O'Byrne.
In the neighbourhood there are many pretty villas and neat ranges of houses, particularly that
of Sandford, so called from the circumstance of Lord Mountsandford having, in 1826, munificently
erected and endowed a Church here, on which he expended £5,000. It is fitted up in a very
chaste, simple style, and is capable of accommodating 900 persons. Male and female free
schools and a lending library are connected with the endowment. Here are extensive nursery
grounds of Messrs. Toole and Mackey, seedmen.
A coach and three well-appointed omnibuses from and to Dundrum and Dublin pass through
the village daily-fares 4d. and 6d. It is within the G.P.O. delivery. Letters to be forwarded
same day or evening, must be deposited in the Post Office receiver at noon, or by 4, P.M.