RINGSEND, a maritime village in the parish of St. Mary's, Donnybrook, Dublin barony and county, 2 miles east from the General Post Office, Dublin, comprising an area of 54 acres. Population 1,755 inhabiting 159 houses. It is situated not many hundred yards, from Irishtown, upon on the eastern bank of the river Dodder, at its confluence with the Liffey and tidal estuary of the harbour, also on the road to Sandymount, the Pigeon-house fort and Light-house.
The name is said to have been originally RIN-AUN, i.e. appropriately, "the point of the tide." Until a very late period, it and the Pigeon-house fort, to which a mole called the "South wall" extends from the village 17,754 foot into the bay, was the chief landing and embarking place of Dublin. Here, Oliver Cromwell, on 14th Aug. 1649, landed 12,000 troops; and here De Ginkell, attended by the Lords Justices, went on board the Monmouth frigate after the war of 1691.
It consists of several streets of very indifferent and irregularly built houses, chiefly poor and many dilapidated. Close to the village, on the western side of the Dodder, is the Grand Canal Docks, comprising an area of 25 acres, with 2,000 yards of quayage, and from 17 to 18 feet depth of water. They have 3 spacious graving docks, and are entered from the channel by two wide gates, called the Camden and Buckingham locks. It had formerly some extensive glass and salt works, the former of which has been recently revived by a joint stock glass company, who are erecting extensive buildings for its manufacture. Ship and boat building is carried on to a small extent. There is as iron foundry, where iron boats, steam engines, and boilers, &c. are made; and near the bridge in a sal ammoniac manufactory, also a rope-walk. It contains a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, and National School for both sexes. For the Church of St, Matthew, Ringsend, see - Irishtown.
An omnibus and jaunting cars from and to College-street ply constantly at a fare of 2d each passenger. It is within the General Post Office delivery. Letters to be forwarded same day or evening, must be deposited in the Post Office receiver at noon, or by 4, p.m.