RUSH, a maritime town in Lusk parish, Balrothery east barony, Dublin county, 17 miles
N. by E. from Dublin, comprising an area of 162 acres. Population, 1,603, inhabiting 327 houses.
It is situated on the eastern coast, and was formerly noted as a fishing town celebrated for
its ling, which was taken and cured in great quantities, and gave employment to 40 superior fishing
vessels ; but the sea having encroached on the shore, and the harbour filled up with sand, it is
now unfit for trading vessels, or even fishing smacks. In 1846 there were 18 fishing boat, and
27 yawls employing 300 men and boys engaged in the fishery, the banks of which are about 20 miles
from the shore, at abound in ling, hake, and haddock ; but the want of a small safe harbour
obliges the fishermen to resort to Howth and Skerries to sell their produce ; consequently
half the population of the place, who are dependent on the fishery, are in great poverty.
The only public buildings are, the Roman Catholic Chapel, with an embattled tower surmounted
by a cross, and a Martello Tower an the beach. It has a Dispensary and Parochial School,
and is a Constabulary Police and Coast Guard Station. A patent for two fairs. an May 1 and
September 29, exists, but none are held.
The harbour is only fit far small craft being difficult of access, and exposed to heavy
swells of the sea in north-east winds. Is. The pier was originally built by the Duke of Ormond,
in the reign of James II. A deep-water harbour could be erected at a moderate expense in the
north of the bay, where two ledges of rock run out that would form a natural foundation. Early
potatoes are raised in the vicinity of the town in great abundance, from tile fertility of
the soil and sea weed. About half a mile from the town is Kenure park, formerly Rush House,
the seat of Sir Roger Palmer, once the residence of the great Duke of Ormond, and, subsequently
that of Sir Henry Echlin bart., from whom it was purchased by an ancestor of the present
proprietor. It is a handsome and spacious structure. and contains some fine paintings of
the old masters, also a rare collection of vases and other interesting relics brought from
Pompeii. In the demesne, which is richly embellished with some fine old timber is the ruins
of Kenure Church, and nearly adjoining, those of an ancient Castle. A short distance to the
left of the railway station at Rush is the village of Lusk, in the same parish and barony,
comprising an area of 87 acres.
The population of Rush and its vicinity, when taken in 1844, was 2,922, and the number of
houses 527 It is pleasantly situated on the road from Dublin, five miles north from Swords.
The Church, in the later English style, erected on the site of Lusk Abbey, has a massive
square tower. The Roman Catholic Chapel is a spacious modern edifice. It has a Constabulary
Police Station, and two National School, and fairs are held on April 5, May 4, July 13, and
November 25 ; they are chiefly for cattle and pigs. Near the Village is the Balrothery Union
Workhouse, on a site of 5 1/4 acres, erected in 1840 at an expense of £4,954, and, with all
necessary accommodation for the Board of Guardians and its officers, is capable of containing
400 paupers. Connected with the Church there are some very ancient ecclesiastical remains,
particularly these of an Abbey over which St. Maccalind presided till his death in 497, and
where St. Adamnus held a grand synod of all the chief prelates or the kingdom in 695 ; within
the precincts are numerous ancient and highly interesting sepulchral monuments - one, composed
of carious kinds of marble in the S. aisle, and elaborately sculptured, erected at the close
of the sixteenth century, represents the effigies of Sir Christopher Barnewell and his lady;
another, of black marble, in the north aisle, to James Bermingham of Ballogh, esq., bears his
effigy in chain armour. Nearly adjoining the village is a race-course, where annually, in July,
races, are held.
At the railway station, the sixth from Dublin, and which is common to Rush and Lusk, the
trains from Dublin to Drogheda stop at 23 min. past 8 and 39 min. past 11, a.m., 9 min.
past 4, and 53 min. past. 5, P.m. The up-trains to Dublin stop at 55 min. past 8, and 48 min.
past 11, A.M., and 48 min. past 5, and 55 min. past 8, p.m.