Roebuck Castle c1925
Roebuck Castle was put up for auction in September 1943, and there were two separate auctions – one for the Castle buildings and land (described as Castle, two lodges and 67 acres of land) and a second for the contents. The photo above appeared on the front of the catalogue for the contents. This second auction went on for 9 days, and consisted of just over 2,000 lots.
The first auction was divided into two lots :
1. The Castle, extensive out-houses, large walled in garden with glass houses, 60 acres of land, of which 14 under tillage. The castle building consists of 6 bedrooms, dining room, drawing room, ante-room, 3 sitting-rooms, 5 maids’ rooms, servant’s hall, 2 bathrooms, h. & c. water, kitchen, scullery and pantry. Also included two cottages, and a gate lodge, two of these let to weekly tenants, the other being occupied by a gardener.
2. Four granite built cottages, currently let to weekly tenants as 6s 10d per week each.
The sale of the Castle and property realized £16,100 and was purchased in trust by the Little Sisters of the Poor, who renovated and expanded the buildings and used the property as a home for the aged. The four cottages were sold for £815.