Extracts from Topographical Dictionary of Ireland 1810 – Rathdown

Topographical Dictionary of Ireland

by Nicholas Carlisle, published 1810

BOOTER’S-TOWN, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster. It is 3 1/4 m. S. E. from Dublin. It is a pleasant village, situate on the Bay of Dublin.

CONNAUGHT,  or, OLD CONNAUGHT, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Vicarage, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Bray. Connaught is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 1 m. W. b. N. from Bray. See, Bray (3).

DALKEY, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of Dublin, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Monkstown. Dalkey is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 7 1/4 m. S. E. from Dublin. It is situate upon the Irish Sea. See Monkstown.

DALKEY, ISLAND, off the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster. This Island contains about 18 acres of fertile land, and is divided from the Main by a channel, called The Sound of Dalkey; and in which ships of the greatest burden may lie with perfect security from the North-east winds. It produces some medicinal plants. Here are the ruins of a church. Tradition says, that when the city of Dublin was anciently visited by the plague, the citizens retired to this island, in order to escape that dreadful disease.

DONABROOK, or, DONNYBROOK, in the Barony of Newcastle, Co. of Dublin, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Corps of the Archdeaconry of Dublin: a Church, in good repair: no Glebe House, or Glebe: The Rev. George Wogan, the Resident Curate (in 1806), at a Salary of £60. per annum, and the small dues of every description, amounting to £25. per annum. Donabrook is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 2 m. S. b. E. from Dublin. The Fair is holden on the 26th of August, for Horses and Pedlars’ wares. See, St. Peter’s (2), Dublin, and Ringsend (1).

DUNLEARY, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster. It is 54 m. S. E. from Dublin. A Sea-port, situate on the South side of Dublin Bay.

KILGOBBIN, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Perpetual Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Corps of the Archdeaconry of Dublin: a Church, in good order: a Glebe House: a Glebe, of 14 acres, about a mile from the church: The Rev. Hayes P. Quead, the Resident Curate (in 1806), who enjoys all the Tythes and emoluments of the parish, amounting to £137.17.6 per annum. Kilgobbin is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 6 m. S. b. E. from Dublin. The Castle is in ruins. See, St. Peter’s, Dublin (2).

KILL, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Monkstown. Kill is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 5 m. S. E. from Dublin. See, Monkstown.

KILLEENY, otherwise KILLEEN [Killiney], in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Monkstown. Killeeny is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 8 m. S. E. from Dublin. It is situate upon a Bay, to which it gives name, on the Irish Sea. See, Monkstown

KILMACUD, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, with the Curacy of Stillorgan. Kilmacud is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 4 m. S. E. b. S. from Dublin.

KILTERNAN, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a V., being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Bray. Kilternan is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 6 3/4 m. S. b. E. from Dublin. See, Bray (3).

MONKSTOWN, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, united by Act of Council, in 1780, to the Curacies of Bullock, Carrick Brennan, Dalkey, Kill, and Killeeny; a Church, in good order, in the parish of Monkstown, built about the year 1797: a Glebe House, and 2 acres of Glebe at Kill, about half a mile from the church, and of 12 acres at Dalkey, about two miles from the church: these Glebes are distant from each other about a mile and an half: The Rev. Singleton Harpur, A.B., the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties, assisted by his resident Curate, The Rev. William Tew, at a Salary of £75. per annum. Monkstown
is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 5 1/2 m. S. E. from Dublin. It is situate upon Dublin Bay. The parishes in the Union of Monkstown are all contiguous; their extent being about 4 miles from East to West, and about 34 miles from North to South. According to Mr. Archdall, here was a Grange belonging to the Priory of the Holy Trinity, Dublin.

RATHFARNHAM, in the Barony of Newcastle, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster : a Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Corps of the Archdeaconry of Dublin: a Church, in good order: no Glebe House, or Glebe: The Rev. Henry Mac Lean, the Resident Curate (in 1806), at a Salary of £60, per annum, and the small dues of every description, amounting to £5. per annum. Rathfarnham is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 23 m. S. from Dublin. The Fair is holden on the 10th of July. Here are the extensive improvements, and Castle, of Lord Loftus. See, St. Peter’s, Dublin (2).

RATHMICHAEL, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster; one of the Prebends of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, valued in the King’s Books at £8.1..1 Irish Money, and annexed to the Union of Bray, Rathmichael is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 1 3/4 m. N. W. from Bray. Here is one of the ancient Round towers. See Bray (3)

STILLORGAN, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of Du BLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, with the Curacy of Kilmacud: a Church, in good order, in the parish of Stillorgan: a Glebe House, in the parish of Stillorgan, and 4 acres of Glebe, near the church: The Rev. Edward Beatty, B.D., the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties in person, assisted by his Resident Curate, The Rev. John Reid, at a Salary of £56. per an num. Stillorgan is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 4 1/4 m. S. E. b. S. from Dublin.

TAWNEY [Taney], in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Corps of the Archdeaconry of Dublin: a Church, in good repair: no Glebe House: a Glebe, of 6 acres, adjoining the church: The Rev. Matthew Campbell, the Resident Curate (in 1806), at a Salary of £60. per annum, and the small Dues of every description, amounting to £10. per annum. Tawney is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 34 m. S. from Dublin. It is commonly called Church Town. See, St. Peter’s, Dublin (2)

TULLY, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy. It is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 6 1/4 m. S. E. b. S. from Dublin

WHITE CHURCH, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Tallagh. White Church is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 4 m. S. from Dublin. See, Tallagh (4)


(1) RINGSEND, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Chaplaincy: a Church, in good order, dedicated to St. Matthew : no Glebe House, or Glebe: The Rev. Robert Ball, A. B., the Chaplain (in 1806), who discharges the duties himself, being that of Preaching only: all the Parochial duties are discharged by the Incumbent of the parish of Donabrook, to which parish the duties belong. Ringsend is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 1} m. E. from Dublin. It is situate upon Dublin Bay. Its proper name is said to be Rin-ann, i. e. The Point of the Tide, a term very applicable to its situation.

(2) St. PETER‘s, in Dublin, a Vicarage., valued in the King’s Books at £81.6.8 Irish Money : a Church, in good repair: no Glebe – House, or Glebe: Robert Fowler, D. D., the Archdeacon (in r 1806), who has cure of souls, and Stalls in St. Patrick’s and Christ Church Cathedrals: is resident on the borders of St. Peter’s parish, and discharges the duties, assisted by two
Resident Curates, The Rev. William Lyster, and The Rev. Vere E. Quaile, at a Salary to each of 65. per annum; and the additional Sum to each of £50 yearly, from the parish

(3) BRAY, partly in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of Dublin, and partly in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of Wicklow, and Province of Leinster: a Rectory and Vicarage, valued in the King’s Books at £1. Irish Money, and Episcopally united, time immemorial, to the Vicarages of [Old] Connaught, and Kilternan; and Rathmichael, one of the Prebends of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, annexed: a Church, in Bray, in good order: a Glebe, of 6 acres, belonging to the vicarage of Bray, half a mile from the church : a Glebe House, and 18 acres of Glebe belonging to the Prebend of Rathmichael, two miles and an half distant from the church, and about three miles distant from the other Glebe: The Rev. James Wilson Ormsley, A. M., the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties in person. Bray is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 11 m. S. S. E. from Dublin. The Fairs are holden on the 1st of May, and 20th of September. It has six Post-days in the week. It is situate upon St. George’s Channel, and is a well frequented Sea-bathing place. The parishes in the Union of Bray are all contiguous; their extent being about 5 miles from East to West, and about three miles from North to South. The greatest part of the fee simple of the town is vested in the Earl of Meath. It is divided between the Counties of Wicklow, and Dublin, by a river abounding with Trout.

(4) TALLAGH, or, TALLAGHT, in the Barony of Newcastle, Co. of DUBLIN; and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, or, Vicarage, valued in the King’s Books at £8..11..1 Irish Money, and perpetually united, at a time not known, to the Curacy of White Church, and the Rectory of Crevagh; a Church, in good repair, in the parish of Tallagh: a Glebe House, in the parish of Tallagh; and a Glebe, of 16 acres, near the church: The Rev. Robert Cochrane Literale, the Incumbent (in 1806), who has cure of souls, is resident, and discharges the duties in: person, Tallagh is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 5 m. S. W. b. S. from Dublin. The Fairs are holden on the first Tuesday in March, 7th of July, 16th of September, and 9th of November. Here is the ancient and noble residence of the Archbishops of Dublin. The parishes in the Union of
Tallagh are all contiguous; their extent, from East to West, being five miles, and, from North to South, 5 miles. According to Mr. Archdall, an Abbey was founded here, in an early age, of which St. Maelruan, was the first Bishop.

(5) BULLOCK, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of Dublin, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Monkstown. Bullock is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. It is 6 3/4 m. S. E. from Dublin. It is situate upon Dublin Bay. See, Monkstown.

(6) CARRICK BRENNAN, in the Barony of Half Rathdown, Co. of DUBLIN, and Province of Leinster: a Curacy, being one of the parishes which constitute the Union of Monkstown, Carrick Brennan is in the Dioceses of Dublin and Glandelagh, and Province of Dublin. See, Monkstown.

 

This entry was posted in County Dublin History, Directories, Townlands & Placenames and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.