Old Photographs of Ranelagh, South Dublin

Looking toward the Triangle from near the junction with Ashfield road.

Looking toward the Triangle from near the junction with Ashfield road.

View from Charlemont Bridge looking towards Mountpleasant Square and Ranelagh.

View from Charlemont Bridge looking towards Mountpleasant Square and Ranelagh.

View on Ranelagh Road near the junction with Chelmsford Road, looking west towards Sandford

View on Ranelagh Road near the junction with Chelmsford Road, looking west towards Sandford

View of Ranelagh looking towards the Triangle from the Railway Bridge.

View of Ranelagh looking towards the Triangle from the Railway Bridge.

Map indicting locations for the photographer for the above photos (click for a larger view)

Map indicting locations for the photographer for the above photos (click for a larger view)

(undated – but appear to be c1930s)

Posted in County Dublin History, History | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Old Photographs of Ranelagh, South Dublin

History of Dundrum and its Castle

from “History of Dublin”, part 2 – 1902 , by F. Elrington Ball

(Extract from Parish of Taney)

DUNDRUM AND ITS CASTLE

Dundrum Castle -1802, from a plate in “The Literary and Masonic magazine”

Dundrum Castle -1802, from a plate in “The Literary and Masonic magazine”

Dundrum, or the Fort on the Ridge, which lies to the west of Stillorgan and south-west of Donnybrook, still possesses remains of a castle, occupying, possibly, the site of the dun or fort, from which the place derives its name,. These remains are, in the grounds of the modern house known as Dundrum Castle, overhanging the river which flows through the village, and besides being of considerable extent, are of great strength, one of the walls being nearly six feet thick. The castle, which was built in two portions, one much larger than the other, is now all empty shell, but still possesses several features of interest, including windows, some more modern than Continue reading

Posted in County Dublin History, Family History, History, Irish History | Tagged , | Comments Off on History of Dundrum and its Castle

Co. Wicklow Postcards

Scans from a postcard booklet titled “Souvenir of Bray“, produced by Irish Tourist Association. Date unknown but appears to be from the c1930s.

"Souvenir of Bray"

“Souvenir of Bray”

Bray (Brí Cualann – “Hill of the Cuala territory” ), looking north from the road to Bray Head the heights of Killiney and wooded Vale of Shangannagh from a picturesque background for the Beach and Promenade. The summit of the Head commands wonderful views to the south, and west lie the Hills of Wicklow and all the glory of the “Garden of Ireland”.

View from Bray Head

View from Bray Head

The Glen of the Dargle, a deeply wooded defile of superb beauty, lied about two miles west of Bray. Always a popular venue for outings and picnics, it contains the famous “Lover’s Leap” about which there are several romantic legends.

The Glen of the Dargle

The Glen of the Dargle

Naylor’s Cove – This up-to-date swimming pool lies in a sheltered cove beneath Bray Head which towers 700ft above the sea. Swimming Galas and other aquatic sports are frequently held there.

Swimming Pool at Naylor's Cove

Swimming Pool at Naylor’s Cove

The Scalp (An Scealp -“The Hill Cleft”). The translation of the original Irish Names aptly describes this rocky pass. The view from the rock-covered hill on either side is well worth the short ascent.

The Scalp

The Scalp

Kilmacanogue (Cell of St. Canice) is three miles from Bray, on the road to Glen o’ the downs and Rocky Valley

Kilmacanogue

Kilmacanogue

Powerscourt Demesne is close to Enniskerry and within easy reach of Bray. This beautiful Estate contains the residence of Viscount Powerscourt and extends overs 1,400 acres. Miles of fascinating walks and drives wind throughout its woodlands and rich plantations. The celebrated Waterfall (400ft) and the Deer Park, with it’s herds of Deer, should not be missed.

Powerscourt Demesne is close to Enniskerry and within easy reach of Bray. This beautiful Estate contains the residence of Viscount Powerscourt and extends overs 1,400 aces. Miles of fascinating walks and drives wind throughout its woodlands and rich plantations. The celebrated Waterfall (400ft) and the Deer Park, with it's herds of Deer, should not be missed.

Powerscourt Waterfall

At the beach in Bray

At the Beach in Bray

At the Beach in Bray

Posted in Bray, Irish History, Wicklow | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Co. Wicklow Postcards

Ranelagh Old and New

MacGowan Terrace, Ranelagh c1990 and c1910

MacGowan Terrace, Ranelagh c1990 and c1910

MacGowan Terrace, Ranelagh c1990 and c1910


MacGowan Terrace, Ranelagh, c1990 and c1910, number 13 is closest in this view.

Directory listing from 1914 :

McGowan’s Terrace
… Railway Bridge….
1a James McDonnell, coal factor
1 M Walsh, plumber, gasfitter &c
2 H. Fitzgerald
3 Thomas Larkin
4 Mitchell and Co. drapers
5 James Geo. Evans, victualler, phone Rathmines 34
6 A. D. Porter & Co., hardware and chandlery
7 Myles McDonnell & Son, victuallers
8 Ranelagh Billiard Rooms – P.J. O’Neill, tobacconist and cigar merchant
9 William Vincent Johnston, pharmaceutical chemist
10 William McCabe, fishmonger and poulterer
11 T. O’Rourke & Co., family grocers, wine , spirit and provision merch.
12 Dartry dye works and Dublin Laundry Co. receiving office
” Miss Grattan, servant’s registry office
13 John Gordon, wholesale and retail chandler, delph merch. &c.
” Town Sub-Post Office, Money Order & Savings Bank Office
” Postal Telegraph Office, John Gordon, sub-postmaster
…. junction with Field’s Terrace – ‘The Triangle’

 

Posted in County Dublin History, Directories | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Ranelagh Old and New

Bray, Co. Wicklow from Pigot’s Directory of Ireland of 1824

Bray – Pigot’s Directory of Ireland 1824

Pigot's Directory of Ireland of 1824

Pigot’s Directory of Ireland of 1824

A Small, but pleasant town, ten miles south by east of Dublin, is situated on the southern steep bank of the river Bray, which is celebrated for its fine trout. It is much frequented in the bathing season by strangers, who are attracted by the purity of the water which washes its shores, bordering on the Dublin bay, and by the beautiful scenery, with which the neighbourhood abounds.

The church is situated on a steep anti lofty eminence, overhanging the river, and near the church is the barrack. There is also a Roman Catholic chapel, and a place of worship for the Methodists. The Catholics have two charity schools, one for an unlimited number of boys, the other for girls; these schools are supported by annual contributions – besides these there is another charity school for an unlimited number of boys of all denominations; this is supported by an annual charity sermon in the established church. The female school and poor shop gives instruction in reading, plain work, knitting, and platting  straw, to the daughters of the poor of Bray and its vicinity; it also enables them to obtain, on the lowest terms, articles of clothing, for which they are allowed to pay weekly, on being recommended by a subscriber, who is answerable for the amount, if not regularly paid. Continue reading

Posted in Directories, Irish History | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Bray, Co. Wicklow from Pigot’s Directory of Ireland of 1824