Website update

Updated a number of pages to fix a new display issue relating to the display of PDF documents – e.g. street index lists, medical directory, Thom’s 1848 County Dublin directory etc..

Posted in News | Tagged , | Comments Off on Website update

Description of Bray 1869 (Thom’s)

BRAY, a maritime town in the barony of Rathdown, twelve miles S.E. from the General Post Office, partly in county Dublin, partly in county Wicklow, the river of Bray, here crossed by a stone bridge, being the boundary between the two counties, and dividing the Wicklow, or larger portion of the town, from the Dublin portion, or Little Bray.bray_c1880
In 1173 the manor was granted by the Earl of Pembroke, then Lord Deputy, to Walter de Riddlesford, one of the early Norman adventurers. In 1215 the Abbot of the Monastery of St. Thomas, near Dublin, obtained it at a rent of three, and a ?ne of 60 marks. In these as well as in subsequent times, it was frequently assailed by the mountain septs of the O’Byrnes and O’T0oles. In 1316 they destroyed the castle, but were defeated on the same day by an English force under Edmund Le Boteler. In 1402 it was the scene of a great battle between the before-named septs and the citizens of Dublin, headed by John Drake, their Provost. At the dissolution of religious houses the manor, among other lands of the Abbey of St. Thomas, was granted to Sir Thomas Brabazon, an ancestor of the Earl of Meath, who enjoys in fee at the present time the greater part of the town. The population of the parish, according to the Census of 1851, was 3,156 ; the population of the town, by the Census of 1831, was 4,373, inhabiting 724 houses.
Continue reading

Posted in Bray, Directories, History, Irish History | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Description of Bray 1869 (Thom’s)

Advert for The Royal Marine Hotel, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

royal_marine_hotel,Kingstown-1913From ‘1913 – Directory of Kingstown (Monkstown, Dalkey & Killiney) and District’ published by Talbot Coall & Son, Auctioneers, Estate Agents, Kingstown.

(printed by Corrigan & Wilson, Sackville place Dublin)

Posted in County Dublin History, Directories, History | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Advert for The Royal Marine Hotel, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

RC to Civil Parish Links and Maps

The Chapel mapping and civil parish link system contains details for the Catholic parishes listed in the 1848 directory listing, with mapping details for just over 2,600 churches and chapels and over 3,300 cross-links to civil parishes.

This aim of this system is to put together data on the areas covered, and chapels for these parishes were just before the Great Famine, and around 30 years before the start of civil records.

The primary source used is the parishes listed 1848 Catholic Directory  in conjunction with the Catholic Directory, Ecclesiastical Register and Almanac of 1838, and using Catholic parish references in Lewis’ Topographical Directory of 1837 in combination with townland data 1851 , and the first edition OSI Maps dating from c1837/1840 to provide locate the chapels.

To search by parish name, chapel location or civil parish etc see :
Catholic Parish, Civil Parish and Townland Links
To search for closest churches and parishes by selecting a location on map see :
R.C. Church & Parishes Map Search

As of 2nd March 2015 details for all diocese are now included in this system Continue reading

Posted in Family History, History, Maps, Sources | Comments Off on RC to Civil Parish Links and Maps

A View from Beggar’s Bush in 1744

from ‘History of County Dublin’ (part 2) by F.E. Ball – 1903, from an engraving drawn by William Jones. (See below for map key which gives names of numbered locations)

ViewfromBeggarsBush-1744(FromHistofCoDub-orgEng.byWilliamJones)

(Click on image for a full sized version)

1. Ringsend 2. Irishtown 3. The South Wall 4. The North Wall
5. Clontarf Island 6. Pool Beg 7. Sheds of Clontarf 8. Clontarf
9. Howth 10. Lord Howth’s House 11. Maiden Tower 12. Light House
13. Ireland’s Eye 14. Land Bay of Dublin Bay
Posted in County Dublin History, Dublin City, History, Irish History | Tagged | Comments Off on A View from Beggar’s Bush in 1744