Irish Directories’ Database

DirectoriesAdded a new Irish Directories’ Database, in collaboration with Joe Buggy, an Irish genealogist (and blogger) based in Washington. The database currently contains over 600 links to online directories from many websites, on both free and subscription sites. Links are categorised by county and year, and can also be searched by keywords. Also included are links to copies of directories available to purchase on CD, and for download.

see : Irish Directory Database

Posted in Directories, Family History, History, Irish History | Tagged , | Comments Off on Irish Directories’ Database

Navan, Co. Meath – Pigots Directory 1824

Navan is an extensive market and post town in the county of Meath, 23 miles north west of Dublin, 8 east of Kells, 7 north east of Dublin, and 13 south west of Drogheda.
Navan, Co. Meath 1824 (1)
The river Boyne, joined by a rapid stream called the Black Water, runs through the town, the two parts of which communicate by two good stone bridges. On the hanks of the river, and adjacent to the town, is fine demesne of John Ruxtan, Esq. ; opposite to this are the extensive flax mills of Francis Blundell, and not fur distant is a paper mill. The chief business of this place is in corn and flour, and this is carried on to a considerable extent. Indeed few inland towns are better situated for the flour trade than Navan, for it is well supplied with water, and the transport of goods is much facilitated by the canal, which opens a ready communication with Drogheda. The church is a very beautiful edifice, lately erected, and furnished with at very fine organ. The Catholic chapel is also at spacious building; its entrance and garden are worthy of the stranger’s notice. Navan also possesses a county infirmary and fever-house ; a court-house, and an extensive Catholic seminary, conducted by the Rev. Eugene O’Reilly. The town is governed by a portreeve, in the person of the Rev. T. D. Hamilton. The market days are Wednesday and Saturday, and fairs are held on Easter Monday, June 4th, September l3th, and December 6th. The population is computed to be upwards of 4,500.

Navan, Co. Meath (2)

Navan, Co. Meath (2)

Post Office – Post Mistress, Miss Ann Shore. The Dublin mail is despatched at half-past one in the night, and arrives at half-past twelve at night by the Enniskillen mail. The north mail goes to Drogheda at three in the afternoon, and returns at ten in the forenoon. Office hours from eight in the morning till ten at night.

Gentry and Clergy
Lord Bishop Alexander of Meath, Ardbraccan
Rev. Patrick Barry
Rev. Philip Barry, Boyne-hill
Francis Blundell, esq. Flax-mills
Rev. George Brabazon, Pains-town
Rev. Michael Branagan, Boermeen
J. W. Charlton, Captain of Meath Militia, Curraghtown
Cristopher Cusack, esq. Ratholdron Castle
W. Dillon esq., Kilcarn
Rev. Michael Egan
Thos. Everard esq., Randalstown
John Fay, esq., Blackwater-mills
Richard Fay, esq. Blackwater-mills
Rev. Edward Gargan
John Paine Garnett, esq. Archhall
John Gerrard, esq., Netterville (Gibstown)
Thos. Gerrard esq., Liscarten
James Goggin, esq. Bellmount
Rev. T. D. Hamilton portreeve of Navan
John Henderson, Lieutenant and Adjutant in the 10th Royal Veteran Battalion
Captain Lambart, Causes-town
P. Ponsonby Metge , esq. Athlumny
Patrick Murphy, esq. Boyneville
Rev. Eugene O’Reilly
Hon. & Rev. Packenham, Ardbraccan
Right Rev. Plunket R. C. Bishop of Meath
A. H. C. Pollock esq. Mountainstown
John Pollock, esq. Mountainstown
Patrick Reilly, esq. Ballybeg
John Ross, esq., Ardsalla
Hugh Rothwell, esq. Kingstown
Thos. Russell esq. Dollardstown
John Ruxtan, esq. Black-castle
Richard Ruxtan, esq. Black-castle
Sir M. Sumerville (M. P.) Flemingtown
General Taylor , Dowestown
Rev. Robt. Thompson, Athlumny
Wm. Thompson esq. Oatland
John Wade, esq.
Rev. H.M. Noble Waller, Allenstown
J. F. White esq. Nevinstown

Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Navan, Co. Meath – Pigots Directory 1824

Roscommon town, Co. Roscommon – Pigots Directory 1824

Roscommon – the county town of the same name, is 68 miles west of Dublin, 15 north west of Athlone, 20 south of Boyle, 11 south of Strokestown, and 14 south east of Castlerea.

Roscommon Town, Pigot's Directory 1824 (1)

Roscommon Town, Pigot’s Directory 1824 (1)

The improvements made within the last few years, have been very considerable. The public buildings are the church, which is a neat edifice, a Catholic chapel, a handsome new gaol erected in 1819, an asylum for lunatics, and the old court house; but as the latter is not sufficiently convenient for the transaction of business, an extensive new court house is now building, contiguous to the new gaol, and when completed will be a handsome structure and very ornamental to the town.

The castle of Roscommon, now in ruins, was begun to be built in 1268, by Sir Robert de Ufford, the chief justice. In 1277 Thomas de Clare and O’Brien Roe having contentions, the latter was taken and beheaded, yet afterwards de Clare and his partisans were obliged to give hostages to make satisfaction for O’Brien’s death, and to surrender the castle. In 1566 Sir Henry Sidney took this castle, which had been in the possession of rebels one hundred and forty years, and left Thomas L’Estrange and twenty horsemen to garrison it. The English garrison of Roscommon in 1642, bravely defended themselves against the rebels; however it afterwards fell into the hands of the latter, and in 1652 was delivered up to Colonel Reynolds, a parliamentarian officer. On the estate of Sir Thomas Moriarty are also the remains of an old Abbey, once an establishment for Dominican friars; it is well worthy the notice of the antiquarian. The county infirmary is a modern building, erected in 1783, in which is a resident surgeon ; the present one is Mr. Thomas Lysaght. To this institution Mrs. Walcott liberally bequeathed one hundred pounds aer annum. Roscommon is the property of the
Earl of Essex, and is governed by his deputy seneschal in the person of Bernard Connor, esq. An extensive corn market is held on Saturday. here are two annual fairs, one on Whit-Monday and the other on the 15th of December. The population is 3359.

Post Office, Market-place Post Master – Mr. George Stretch. The Dublin mail arrives at ten in the morning, from Athlone, and is despatched at 35 minutes past three in the afternoon. The Ballymoe, Ballyhawnis, Castlerea and Mount-Talbot mails go by horse from this office at 35 minutes past ten in the morning, and return next morning. The office is open from seven in the morning till eleven at night.

Roscommon Town, Pigot's Directory 1824 (2)

Roscommon Town, Pigot’s Directory 1824 (2)

Nobility and Gentry
Elliott Armstrong, esq. Dunamon Castle
James Balfe, esq. Runimede
Rev. Thos. Blakney, Hollywell
Arthur Brown, esq. Lisbride
John Brown, esq. Mount-prospect
Thos. Byrne, esq. Ballimakerly
Rev. Oliver Carey, Hazlebrook
John Carson, esq. Castle-street
Henry Corr, esq. Durham
Thos. Corr esq. Grove
Lord Crofton, esq. Mote-park
Andrew Cusack, esq. Castlemine
Patrick Cusack, esq. Springlawn
Mrs. Eustice, Abbeyville
Daniel Ferrall, esq. Beechwood
Rev. H. Gallaher
Robt. Goff esq. high sheriff
Rev. Lewis Hawkes, Briarfield
John Hurst, esq. Clover-hill
Charles Irwin, esq. Rocksboro
John Irwin, esq. Rocksboro
Edward Maypother, esq. Kilteeven
Edward Mills, esq. Fairy-mount
M.A. Mills esq. Temple
Mrs. Mitchell, Coolmine
Sir Thos. Moriarty, Bart Abbeytown
Lewis Ormsby, esq. Brook-lodge
Thos. Radcliffe esq. Castlecoote
Michael Sherkey, esq. Main-street
David Thompson , esq. Market-Place
Wm. Thompson esq. Market-place
Wills —-, esq. major of police, Rockley-park

Continue reading

Posted in Directories, History, Irish History | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Roscommon town, Co. Roscommon – Pigots Directory 1824

Castlebar, Co. Mayo – Pigots Directory 1824

Castlebar – the county town of Mayo, is 120 miles west of Dublin, 8 north east of Westport, 16 west of Ballina, 14 west north west of Ballinrobe, and 13 north west of Clare; it is the property of Lord Lucan.

Castlebar, Co. Mayo - Pigots Directory 1824 (pg 1)

Castlebar, Co. Mayo – Pigots Directory 1824 (pg 1)

In 1798, Castlebar was in possession of the French invaders, under General Humbert, for nine days, but, on the approach of Marquis Cornwallis, they retreated precipitately towards Sligo, and soon after surrendered themselves prisoners of war. In the church yard is a monument to the memory of five soldiers who fell at this time. The public buildings are the castle, which stands on a commanding situation, and is now occupied as a barrack; the jail; a fine, convenient court-house; another barrack; a county infirmary; a linen-hall; public shambles; a fine spacious church, with a very lofty steeple; a Catholic chapel, and a Methodist meeting house. The business of this place is principally carried on in one main street, and its chief public buildings are seated round a spacious green, through which is a gravel promenade, overshaded by very fine trees. Here are distillery, and a brewery; but the chief support of the town is an extensive market, particularly for linen, which is held on Saturday. There are three fairs in the year, viz. on the 11th of May, the 9th of July, and the 18th of November. The population is 5120

Castlebar, Co. Mayo - Pigots Directory 1824 (pg 2)

Castlebar, Co. Mayo – Pigots Directory 1824 (pg 2)

Continue reading

Posted in Directories, Family History, History, Irish History | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Castlebar, Co. Mayo – Pigots Directory 1824

Ballinamore, Co Leitrim – Pigots Directory 1824

Ballinamore is a market and post town situated on the bunks of
a small river in the county of Leitrim, 73 miles north west of
Dublin, 9 north of Mohill, 8 from Cloon, 7 south west of
Cashcarrigan, 7 from Carrigallen, and 9 south west of
Ballyconnel. A considerable corn-mill has lately been erected
here by Mr. Charles Sharpley, and there are also two extensivc
tan-yards, which employ many of the inhabitants. The church
is a small but neat edifice, possessing neither spire nor steeple;
and the Catholic chapel is a spacious stone building. Here is a session
house where civil suits only are decided twice a year. The
market, which is held on Tuesday, is remarkably well supplied. Its
two fairs are on the 12th of May and the 12th of November. The
population is about 800.

Post Office – Post Master, Mr. Charles Hamilton. The Dublin mail arrives
at half past eleven in the morning, and is despatched as half-past one
in the afternoon. The Killyshandra mail arrives and departs with the Dublin mail.
Letters for England and Scotland go with the Dublin mail.
Continue reading

Posted in Directories, History, Irish History | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Ballinamore, Co Leitrim – Pigots Directory 1824