New SearchFilter Set to Year :1730+
1730The workhouse converted into an hospital for foundlings. 
1730An intense frost from the end of December to the beginning of February, when the Liffey was frozen over, so that the people amused themselves on the ice. A plague and famine followed. The Parliament House, College-green, finished, at an expense of £40,000. 
1731A music-hall opened in Crow-street on the site where the theatre was afterwards built. The Dublin Society instituted. 
1732The building of the College Library finished. 
1733The custom of burying in wooden shrouds introduced. Interest of money reduced to six per cent. The society for the erection of Protestant schools, commonly called the Charter Schools' Society incorporated. A school built near Clontarf. Theatres opened in Rainsford-street and Aungier-street. The steeple of Trinity College commenced. Steevens' Hospital opened. 
1734Mercer's Hospital, built on the site of St. Stephen's Church, finished. 
1735The fort in the Phoenix-park erected for a magazine. Light ship stationed at Ringsend. 
1741Tyrone House, the mansion of the Marquess of Waterford, built; it now forms part of the buildings of the National Education Institution. The Music Hall, Fishamble-street, opened for concerts. 
1744The Hospital for incurables opened in Fleet-street. 
1745St. Patrick's hospital for lunatics began to be built. The Roman Catholics permitted to assemble in public worship; this relaxation is attributed to the loss of lives occasioned by the falling of a floor in a private house, where a number of Catholics had collected to perform their devotions secretly, when several lives were lost and many persons were maimed and bruised. Dr. Jonathan Swift, dean of St. Patrick's, died, aged 78. The Lying. in Hospital opened in George's-lane by Dr. Moss. 

Page 1 (of 60)Next Page >