New SearchFilter Set to Year :1790+
1790The first mail-coach in Ireland started from Dublin. Masonic Female Orphan House, Strangers' Friend Society, and Sick and Indigent Room-keepers' Society, and Law Club, Dame-street, instituted. Dublin Library Society, Eustace-street, instituted. 
1791New Custom House opened for the despatch of business. Parliament grants £45,000 for constructing docks on the north and south sides of the Liffey. Apothecaries' Hall established. Foundations of Sarah-bridge, near Kilmainham - of Carlisle-bridge - and of the new House of Industry, laid. Navigation of the Grand Canal extended to Athy. First steam engine erected in Dublin. 
1792Inundation of the Liffey between Sir John Rogerson's quay and Ringsend, which laid all the low ground there under water, so that boats, as well with Sails as oars, plied on it. The House of Commons burnt. Foundation of the Female Orphan house, North Circular-road, laid; also of the new City Sessions House, Green-street. The Hospital for Incurables removed to the neighbourhood of Donnybrook. Westmoreland Lock Hospital, for the treatment of venereal cases, opened on its site. Association for the Discountenancing of Vice, instituted. 
1793Deputation from the Roman Catholics of Ireland to the King, for the removal of their disabilities, proceeded to London from Dublin. Act passed for the relief of the Roman Catholics of Ireland. St. Andrew's church rebuilt in the form of an ellipse. 
1794Act for granting to Ireland a share in the monopoly of the East India trade. Charitable Musical Society incorporated. The Sheriffs' Prison, Green-street, commenced. Meath-street Dispensary opened. The meetings of the Historical Society in Trinity College put a stop to by order of the Board of Senior Fellows. 
1795Stamp duty imposed on bills of exchange, and promissory notes, and receipts. Act for establishing a parochial watch in the city and suburbs. 
1796Foundation of the Commercial Buildings, Dame street, laid. The floating and graving Docks near Ringsend opened. Armed associations of the citizens of Dublin, commonly called yeomanry corps, formed. The new Four Courts, King's Inns-quay, opened. 
1797Sessions House, Green-street, opened. 
1798Public soup shops opened by order of Government. Lord Edward Fitzgerald arrested, on a charge of high treason, in Thomas-street; died shortly after in prison of his wounds. Rebellion broke out on the night of the 23rd of May in several counties. Dublin proclaimed under martial law. Several of the leaders of the insurrection executed in Dublin. Population of Dublin, 172,084 souls, in 16,401 houses, on an area of 1,264 acres. Foundation .of Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital laid. The equestrian statue of George I, originally placed on Essex-bridge, and removed in 1753, set up in a conspicuous situation in Dawson-street, in the lord mayor's garden 
1800The articles of Union laid before the lord lieutenant, by the Houses of Lords and Commons. First election of Irish members of the Imperial Parliament. Farming Society of Ireland instituted. Wesleyan Methodist Meeting-house, Great Charles-street, opened. 

Page 1 (of 55)Next Page >